Ford Focus and Fiesta Powershift Transmission Class Action
Problems within the transmission of the Ford Fiesta and Focus are pretty well known. What is not well known is the fact that, currently, there is a class action that is very near settlement and that will affect thousands of California consumers. Here are the facts:
NAME OF THE CASE:
Vargas, et al. v. Ford Motor Company (Case No. CV12-08388 AB (FFMx))
2011-2016 Ford Fiestas and 2012-2016 Ford Focus equipped with a PowerShift Transmission.
WHAT CAN CLASS MEMBERS POTENTIALLY RECEIVE:
- Cash Payments totaling up to $2,325
- Discount Certificates of up to $4,650 toward a new car purchase
- Repurchase of your vehicle through an arbitration procedure
WHAT ARE SOME IMPORTANT DATES HERE:
- Opt-Out Deadline - September 5, 2017
- Opt-In Deadline for people with pending lawsuits pertaining to the PowerShift Transmission - September 5, 2017
- Objection Deadline - September 5, 2017
- Fairness Hearing - October 2, 2017.
What does all of the above mean, in English?
If a potential class member (anyone who has purchased or leased one of the class vehicles) does not affirmatively 'opt out' by September 5, 2017, then that consumer "shall be members of the Class for all purposes." This means that you cannot bring an individual action in state court, where you could potentially receive greater compensation than what the class action offers (up to $2,325.00 cash).
Well, how do I opt out then?
Send a letter with your name, address, and telephone number addressed to:
Ford Transmission Settlement
P.O. Box 404000
Louisville, KY 40233-4000
Your letter must include the following:
- Your name, address, and telephone number;
- The model, model year, and VIN number of your Class Vehicle(s);
- A specific and unambiguous statement that you desire to be excluded from the Class in Vargas v. Ford Motor Co.;
- Your personal signature and the date you signed (and if you are represented by counsel, your counsel must sign the Request for Exclusion as well).
Most importantly, you must put this stamped letter in the mail so that it is post-marked no later than September 5, 2017.